Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Travel Tuesday

For my first ever Travel Tuesday I am of course starting with the number one place I would love to travel to. Santorini, Greece. I've been wanting to go to Santorini for years, basically ever since the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie. I loved the way it looked in the movie and I looked up where it was filmed and immediately fell in love. I have always said I want to go there and if I die before going there then know that that is where my ghost will be.

According to greece.org, Santorini is a total of 76 square kilometers and has a population of about 6,500-7,000. National Geographic states that Santorini is also called Thira and it is known for it's whitewashed houses and churched on the volcanic cliff. Oia, the picturesque village in the north, has the most outstanding architectural elements. The whitewashed houses are probably my favorite feature of Santorini. I love how wonderfully calming they are. It's so peaceful looking, all of the time.

The food in Santorini is mostly made up of the produce found on the island, states santorini.net. They are known for their cherry tomatoes, Fava split peas, fresh cheese from goats, and capers. I really enjoy eating Greek food although I haven't tried too much of it. I love stuffed grape leaves and baklava.

I have dreamed about traveling to Santorini for years but for now I will just have to admire the pictures and continue dreaming.

Let me know about a place that you have or would love to travel to! I'd love to learn more about it!
Melissa

photo courtesy of National Geographic



No comments:

Post a Comment